In Memory

Robert J. Mathews

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

04/01/15 05:28 PM #1    

Nancy Whittaker (Ward)

Robert J. Mathews

Robert J. Mathews, serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died in an Indianapolis, Indiana hospital following an automobile-bicycle accident that occurred in Newcastle, Indiana on Sunday, Aug. 29, 1976.

He was born March 29, 1957 in Boise, Idaho to Donald A. and Ordella Ord Mathews.  He graduated from Skyline High School in 1975, completed one year at the University of Utah where he actively participated in drama and theater, he has been active in the L.D.S. Church, having served as President of the Deacon's and Teacher's Quorums, and as an assistant to the Bishop in the Presidents [Priest's] Quorum, he was serving as Secretary to the Young Adults when called to serve his Mission.  He entered the Mission Home Aug. 7, 1976.

Survivors include his mother and father; 2 sisters, one brother Mrs. Jerri V. Alldredge, Terri and Bruce; grandmother Mrs. Dulcie Mathews, Los Angeles, Calif.

Funeral services will be held Wed. at 12 noon in the Holladay 22nd Ward Chapel, 4635 Lanark Road, where friends may call 1 hour before services.  Inernment Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park.  Funeral directors Russon Brothers Mortuary.

Deseret News, Monday August 30, 1976

08/11/15 07:44 PM #2    

Blaine W. Brown

Robert was so excited when he announced his mission call; I remember the last time I saw him at young adults just before he left on his mission. I left on my own mission one week after Robert, and those of us from Skyline in the LTM were stunned and saddened to hear the news of the tragic accident that took his life.  We can only wonder why some are taken so young.  I learned a lot from having known Robert J. Matthews.

08/12/15 11:08 PM #3    

Jim Farr

Bob was a true friend.  We first became friends in the 3rd grade at Eastwood Elementary when my family moved to Holliday.  He had a heart of gold and those who knew him realized that he was a great person.

Our friendship continued at Churchill Junior High, Skyline and during our first year at the U of U.  During the summer of 1976, we both went on missions.  I left about 1 month before he did.

I have since come to realize that sometimes people have preminitions about when they will depart this life.   The night before I left to go into the mission home, Bob called me and told me that he appreciated our friendship and that if something should happen so that we did not see each again in this life, that he loved me.

Less than a month into his mission, Bob was killed by a car while he riding his bike.

I have often thought about him and the positive influence he had in my life.

Bob, I look forward to the time we will meet again. 

(But realize, I am not in hurry for that to happen anytime soon.)

go to top 
  Post Comment